Sunday, April 10, 2005

Who?

Okay, I watched the last four innings of the game Friday night... The first time I've experienced Mariners baseball this season/preseason.

Who the heck is Valdez? I know I have paid virtually no attention to the M's since Easter, but when did they pick up this character? And just how is he that much better than Ramon Santiago that he would be the starting shortstop while Santiago is not even in the bigs? This Valdez kind of looks like Omar Vizquel, and got a pitch up and over the plate that he could handle, leading to a 2-out rally, (which was great, and had a critical error on a routine double-play grounder, to boot) but can someone explain how it is he came to be playing opposite Boone in the middle infield?

3 Comments:

At 4/11/2005 9:16 AM, Blogger PositivePaul said...

"Exxon" Valdez, as he's commonly referred to in the blogs (though I prefer "Coffee" -- as in Juan Valdez), came to the M's via waiver wire about the same time as we claimed Abraham Nunez. The Mets had just claimed him, and then tried to sneak him through waivers the same day (to clear some roster space), but Bavasi nabbed him about the same time he found out that Lopez was going to need surgury to remove his hammate bone.

Personally, I've been more impressed with "Coffee" than I ever was with Santiago. He seems to have much better range, and a much better ability to track the ball down than Ramon Santiago. The bobble on Friday aside, he's the best defensive SS I've seen since Pokey played a game. Nice to see that he's started to hit a little, too.

 
At 4/11/2005 3:53 PM, Blogger PositivePaul said...

Ol' Mickey was sold to the Giants at the end of ST. Young Jose will be out 4-6 weeks.

"Mr. Coffee" got a few hits today, adding another RBI, and played some solid D (from what I hear). Better than Santiago could do.

 
At 4/12/2005 1:09 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, This is the first I have seen of your blog, Good work guys!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home