Wednesday, December 14, 2005

We got our Lefty Sock, Folks!

From the press release:
"Today, we achieved one of our offseason goals," Mariners general manager Bill Bavasi said
...
"Having him in my lineup gives us some of the left-handed sock and run production we were looking for," Mariners manager Mike Hargrove said.
Well, duh.

I mean, technically, Bavasi DID get us lefty sock. When you break things down statistically, Everett does bat left-handed (being a switch-hitter and all). Add that together with the fact that he most recently played for the White "Socks" -- which, as one member of that team, makes him a "sock."

(above originally posted over at the SportSpot M's forum)

My take on all of this?

Here's a couple of theories I've got floating around. These are based on several conversations I've had with other folks in blogs and forums, as well as pure speculation...

1) Howard Lincoln wanted to show the M's fans that he's OK with signing someone who is (in all fairness here) perceived as being a bad apple.

2) Mike Hargrove wanted him very, very, very badly. He was available, and didn't require a long-term commitment (unlike MarinersMorsels endorsed Lefty OF/DH Sock Jeromy Burnitz -- who reportedly disappeared off the M's radar the moment he demanded a multi-year deal). So, Bill obliged his field general.

3) There are many more moves on the horizon. Without spilling a ton of beans or opening a can of worms, (nor is it, really, that huge of a secret), Jeremy Reed is actually actively being shopped. His name is coming up in conversations, whether it's out of the other teams' mouths, or out of Bavasi's. It's very clear he's available. I've heard some buzzings of other potential moves, that if they go down, would actually likely pleasantly surprise most M's bloggers.

4) The absolute only way I can accept this as a positive is if Everett is a bench bat, replacing "lefty sweet swinger" Dobby the Bench Elf, with a few starts in LF/DH. But, even so, at $3 million, that's an expensive bench bat. And, of course, that's turning a blind eye towards the personality issues.

With a name like PositivePaul, I've been accused of being an optimist. I guess this post can be proof that even when I'm very, very, very frustrated, I can try to shed some positive light on things.

In the end, though, I really haven't seen anyone who is terribly excited about this signing. I've heard overwhelming frustration, and more people who are inclined to turn away from the M's rather than return to them. And I'm not just talking about from the blogs & forums. Absolutely none of my M's-loving coworkers had anything that you could construe as a positive response.

That's probably not quite the reaction you want to get out of your customers.

1 Comments:

At 12/16/2005 1:22 PM, Blogger Snave said...

I suppose I'm willing to give Everett a slight benefit of the doubt for the first couple of months of the season, anyway. "Innocent until proven guilty", I always like to say... although he seems to have proven himself guilty of being something of a headcase. He has tended to acquit himself fairly well at the plate here and there, so let's see if he can control his rather violently oddball tendencies and at the same time be a productive hitter. Hopefully he will do at least one of those things, and preferably both... if not, let's hope the club dumps him.

Hmmmm... I'm using the word "hope" a lot here, huh... !

 

Post a Comment

<< Home