Friday, October 14, 2005

Back to the Roots

I've decided to re-name this blog's a.k.a. "Free George Sherrill!" This is for two reasons (in order):

1) It's not a total given that George will remain with the club for the entire 2006 season. For some strange reason, the M's seem content with keeping Matt Thornton on the roster. I can partially justify this -- they've spent tons of money on him, he doesn't have any options left, and other than George, there aren't any lefty relievers in the M's farm system that he's really blocking. It doesn't excuse the fact that he's just not a very good pitcher, and likely won't become one. He may suck, but at least he doesn't pretend he doesn't and whine and moan about it like the delusional Ryan "Flyball" Franklin does.

However, there's no excuse for George Sherrill to be held back in 2006. Okay, so his ERA was a little high. He can be forgiven for giving up a few runs without making an out on the last game of the season, when half of the team was already in the clubhouse packing up their stuff. And, Jeff Nelson still owes George a steak dinner for bloating his ERA by giving up a grand slam with a few of George's runners aboard...

2) I've decided to give some money to one of my favorite baseball sites. Baseball-Reference.com is a wonderful free site that I use all the time. There are other sites I use, too, but I find myself loading them most frequently. When I saw George Sherrill's page available for sponsorship, I figured, hey -- there's a good use of $5! The fact that it only cost me $5 to sponsor his page, when it (currently) costs $60 to sponsor Felix's, shows just how underrated George truly is. Here's to hoping it costs $20 next season.

Granted, that only brings it up to Rich Aurillia, Mario Mendoza, Christian Guzman, and Matt Lecroy territory -- but hey, Jason Isringhausen and Mike Jackson, not to mention HOF'ers Heine Manush, Jim Bottomley and Earl "Pride of Snohomish" are also $20 pages. And that's a step above the $15 level, which gives you Scott Spiezio, Jarrod "Blue Eyes" Washburn (hint, hint, Deanna!), Kevin "Greek God of Walks" Youkalis, and B.J. "Hey, PositivePaul Drafted Me in the Third Round of the Seattle PI Blog Yahoo Fantasy Baseball League -- and Still Won The Title!" Upton.

So, hey! Visit George's page a ton, so it gets popular. And pray that George stays healthy, and can stick in Seattle next season.

4 Comments:

At 10/14/2005 12:41 PM, Blogger Deanna said...

Okay, so actually, I did see that Jarrod Washburn's page was available, but I thought I'd be too ashamed to sponsor it. I'd rather be linked to some oddball player -- I'm trying to come up with an appropriate one or two. And as I said on LL, hey, Leo Durocher's page is on the available list :)

 
At 10/14/2005 1:08 PM, Blogger PositivePaul said...

Here's someone to hang your inspiration on:

Jeff Cirillo

A bargain at $15. Imagine owning the "Cursed the M's" trifecta of Jeff Cirillo, Heathcliff Slocumb, and Ken "I blew Holman's Perfect Game, but you got Buhner for Me" Phelps! All three would only set you back $45

Not sold yet? How about Mike "Not That One!" Tyson?

Or, being a bit more creative, how about, in honor of "Revenge of the Nerds," sponsoring a Gilbert or a Louis. Booger isn't represented, and Poindexter is a little bit of a stretch...

Just trying to help :-)

 
At 10/14/2005 3:13 PM, Blogger PositivePaul said...

It's "pending approval" according to my account. Not sure why it's taking so long, but I suspect they pay much, much more attention to the $95 guys than they do the $5 guys. Considering I just signed up this morning, too, it's probably taking a little while.

George as starter? I've never actually consider it. I chat with Sid regularly, and we've actually not discussed him becoming a starter. That would be interesting.

Our discussion (at least my suggestioning, anyway) centers more around George inheriting the closer's role. He's done it in T-town, and had quite the fan club there, so I believe he'd be just fine as a closer.

 
At 10/22/2005 6:43 AM, Blogger Mike L said...

I gotta admit, I'm very tempted to sponsor Greg Briley.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home