Tuesday, February 20, 2007

And the Rest of the Team, Too

So, the team is complete -- at least the team that will work together in spring training. Everyone's in camp now -- well, at least I haven't heard of anyone missing yet. In just over a week, games will be back on the radio, and my XM will be cranked up ready to go. I may not get Niehaus, yet, but at least it'll be baseball. Sort of, anyway...

I've got a decision to make, though. Every time I open Blogger to post here, I get the message that my new Blogger is ready. See, I'm sorta with Citizen K in that I'm not exactly a huge Google fan. It's been nice being able to host this place for free and to mostly be able to do what I need. About a year ago, though, I was moving forward with building my own blogging application. I haven't touched it for several months, though, and the web hosting is due for renewal. Here's a peek at the Mariners Morsels site I was working on -- nothing special, certainly, and the blog isn't anywhere near presentable. I've hosted several pictures and other links on other blogs there -- I've got other web hosting, obviously, so finding space isn't a problem.

I need to decide the fate of the Morsels. While I love having a place to write about whatever I want, I'm finding that I'm wanting to write less and less about baseball. I have several options that aren't necessarily mutually-exclusive, so I need some help deciding what to do. Certainly the other authors around here need to be a very big part of that decision, too. Here's what I'm pondering:

1) Cancel the hosting for marinersmorsels.com and abandon my efforts to build my own blog. Use other hosting to upload pictures and other stuff to -- and recognize that there may be broken links in the other blogs.
2) Migrate to the New Blogger. I'm pretty sure everyone except Citizen K has a Gmail account, so it shouldn't be too big of a deal to do that. It's kind of a pain, though, from what I've heard, and I really don't like the thought of losing comments or threads.
3) Move to WordPress or some other free blog software. Again, sort of a pain, and I'm not sure about comments.
4) Just give up writing a blog all together. I'd hate to shut down the HQ of the Free George Sherrill unofficial campaign, and there are a few guys who I see myself campaigning for in the near future. I'd also hate to not have a place to write whatever I want. Certainly the LookoutLanding diaries aren't restrictive, but I like having a place of my own...

So, there. Those are my current thoughts. Again, marc, Corco, CK -- I'd especially like your thoughts. Of course, I probably should've discussed this via e-mail with you guys first, but I'm OK with asking our web mateys, too.

4 Comments:

At 2/20/2007 1:46 PM, Blogger Deanna said...

Errr... I migrated to the new blogger like 3-4 months ago and haven't had any problems, so I can't figure out why you wouldn't just go ahead with that. (Besides, you know that blogger was already hosted by Google anyway, right?)

Personally, I just don't feel like writing about the MARINERS much anymore, so I'm debating what on earth to do about my blog. Bleh.

 
At 2/20/2007 3:32 PM, Blogger PositivePaul said...

Yeah, I know that Blogger is owned by Google -- I just recognize that for the 'new' Blogger you have to have a Google account (i.e. a GMail account). I have one now, but I don't use it for other than a couple of specific things. Not a big deal to me, I suppose, but I don't want to force anyone 'round here (who doesn't have one already) to get a GMail account in order to continue blogging with The Morsels.

It's truly tough writing about the Mariners. Three + years of complaining with nothing really changing can get really tiring. Tacoma will be fun to talk about, and I'd love to have marc continue to take the reins there. I'm sure that once the season begins, and I'm watching baseball again instead moaning about the front office, my motivation will pick up.

So, I'm probably going to keep this place afloat. I just am trying to figure out in what manner. And, whether or not I should keep the MarinersMorsels domain hosting. I'll probably still keep the name, and see if I can find some free hosting or something, but I don't want to shell out $50 that I don't need to spend -- especially when that can go towards camera gear :-)

 
At 2/20/2007 4:52 PM, Blogger marc w. said...

Eh, you're the boss, Paul. I'd be happy to write about the Rainiers, and even the M's - I think this season is going to be absolutely fascinating, for one, though what sort of modifier you throw in front of 'fascinating' is still up in the air ('morbidly'? 'Grimly'? Or maybe 'surprisingly' or even 'pleasantly'? We don't know).


I've got plenty of gmail accounts, so I'm fine on that front. But I also don't want you to feel obligated to keep this place going for me/corco/anyone. You're the one who's poured the most energy into this enterprise (um, yeah, sorry about my lackluster effor recently), so you should decide its fate.

 
At 2/21/2007 8:57 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Paul I had a question. Do you have a link to a gallery of most of your mariners pictures? I was thinking if it was alright I was going to use some of them for some LL photoshops.

Just post a link in these comments and I will come by and check.

- Scruffy Lefty

 

Post a Comment

<< Home