Wednesday, February 15, 2006

Giddy?

I can't but barely begin to tell you how giddy I am today. Several reasons:

1) Pitchers and catchers have reported to the Peoria Sports Complex in Peoria, AZ. Wnter break is over for those guys, and by this time next week, the entire team. They're back in the rank and file of us workin' folks. Okay, well, I do know that the time between the last game of the season and reporting day isn't exactly club med for most MLB'ers (and MLB-wannabes). Indeed they work nearly as hard during the offseason staying in shape and keeping their skills polished enough to survive Spring Training. For older guys, that's probably even more true.

2) My new camera should arrive today. It's new only in the sense that it's new to me, and having purchased it on eBay (though from a reputable east-coast used camera dealer), I'm really not sure of its exact condition. It's got a 100-day mechanical warranty if anything DOES go wrong, and it's built like a tank to begin with. This means I'll now get better pictures at Cheney and Safeco. I'm most certainly going to blog over at "PhotosByPaulM" so I won't bore you even further with details on this acquisition (and my true adventures into d-SLR crossover). But it still makes me giddy anyways!

3) It's sunny outside. Sure, it's freakin' cold (hovering around 40 right now, and a beautiful 30 degrees when I left for work this morning -- and it's going to be much colder this weekend), but at least the clouds have temporarily disappeared. Although I haven't really been to too many other places (nevermind LIVED anywhere), I'm quite certain that the PNW is one of the most beautiful places to live when the clouds are in hiding.

Anyway, sorry for the diversion away from the more editorial nature of this blog (and into the original nature of blogs -- mere "rantastic" journals/diaries, etc.). I hope I'm not alone in my general happiness. It's good to capture these moments, so we can remind ourselves what it's like when life totally sucks. And, come May in Marinerland, we'll probably need such a reminder...

Here's to hoping you have a great day today, and that some of my general excitement and joy rubs off on you!

[Brief edit to note that this news makes me a little less giddy. That's all we needed -- more good pitching in the AL West. Man, why can't our revenue streams support such a budgetary stretch, even if it's temporary...]

5 Comments:

At 2/15/2006 1:54 PM, Blogger Mike L said...

Giddy is a great word to describe today. It's time for baseball! That Weaver signing is a little frustrating, but whatever. Hope springs eternal today.

 
At 2/16/2006 12:10 AM, Blogger PositivePaul said...

So, what is this in a string of shared coincidences, PosiPaul, #25925?

ROTFLMFAO!!! Jeez, I swear, dude, we ARE twin brothers from different mothers!

Indeed my camera arrived today. I blew threw the battery pretty quickly, of course, which these cameras are known to do. I put a few pix up on my photo blog, and my initial reaction there (see link in post above). I'm way, way, way impressed!!!

...I like to carry it in my pocket so it's ready at a moment's notice.

Well, from what I've experienced with digital point-&-shoots (no matter what the quality), in spite of packing a lot of punch in the portability category, they definitely lack in speed and flexibility. I wanted a camera I could control, not vice-versa. And, digital point-&-shoots are definitely not that. They really should be called
"Point,

Press,

Wait_for_the_camera
_to_focus_and_meter,

Shoot_with_a_really_slow_
shutter_speed_or_an_
overbearing_flash_causing_
either_hugely_burnt-out_
highlights_or_immensely_
blurry_pictures_
that_suck_
because_by_the_time_
the_shutter_finally_
releases_the_subject_
has_moved_out_of_the_frame,

Wait_some_more_until_the_image_is
_written_to_whatever_storage_card_
type_your_camera_happens_to_eat_up_fairly_quickly

Cameras.

I've been quite tired of this, and bought my film camera to hold me together long enough to convince my wife that by the time I blew through 40-50 rolls of film, I could've used that money on a decent d-SLR.

It's actually the camera I've always dreamed of owning. Now I just have to start padding the lens fund. Glass, especially GOOD Nikon glass, will likely cost me more than the camera itself. I've got two lenses to get me started, but I'd like to upgrade them quickly.

Anyway, I'm ranting again on non-baseball stuff...

 
At 2/16/2006 12:12 AM, Blogger PositivePaul said...

blew threw

Uh, gerpotenwogen! I swear I caught that and fixed that. When am I going to launch my home-brewed app that will actually allow me to edit my comments....

Make that "blew through"

Sheesh. It's time for bed.

 
At 2/17/2006 2:35 PM, Blogger Snave said...

It is frustrating to see the Angels step in and sign Weaver for less than we paid for Washburn and for one year.

Congrats on the camera, that's pretty cool!

It's cold here in La Grande. A low of 11 last night, an inch of snow this morning, 15 on the way to work, and a high of 21 today. Ick! And the Eastern Oregon University baseball team has its first games this weekend... at least they are playing at a tourney in Lewiston, ID. There usually aren't any home games on their schedule until mid-late March, when the weather is almost good enough for baseball... that is, maybe as high as 50, with an occasional light drizzle! The name of the EOU field is Snowflake Field. It fits! I'm excited about NAIA baseball again at this time too, even if the EOU staff usually posts an ERA of around 7.50.

But I share the giddiness of the new season! Whether it's going to local ballgames (high school or college), or the Mariners starting Spring Training, baseball is upon us at long last!

 
At 2/18/2006 3:36 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

As a fellow Sherrill fan, wanted to share this with you.

http://tinyurl.com/84fs8

Looks like Sherrill is a little more svelt this spring.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home