Wednesday, June 08, 2005

M's Catch Draft, Cool Off Florida

I'm actually surprised I didn't see that headline in one of the local newspapers. The Olympian came close, but this actually was my final thought before hitting the hay last night. Okay, maybe I'm just to big of a linguistic dork and not enough of a journalistic editorialist for something like that to fly. I was a German major, for pete's sake, and have only taken 2 journalism classes ever. Plus, I'm a web geek by trade, so writing is just something I do for fun. Give me a break!

I'm glad we beat the Marlins last night. Today and tomorrow looks to be much more of a challenge. I'm just hoping Beltre can stop swinging at pitches low and away and finally start to catch some fire against his old NL nemeses. Imagine how good this team would be if Beltre even lived up to his most pessimistic predictions!

I know I said I didn't want to draft Clement. In spite of saying that, I'm not disappointed at all. Indeed Maybin might be a better long-term investment, but he's likely further away from MLB than Clement (unless those Griffey comparisons are indeed accurate). We've drafted several college pitchers, who may pan out. If Clement can stick as a catcher, and has as much power as they say he does, then he'll indeed be a good fit for this team.

1 Comments:

At 6/08/2005 12:34 PM, Blogger Mike L said...

I think the most encouraging part of the draft was the number of college pitchers. Shows the organization understands that they have more success in the bigs.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home