Tuesday, May 31, 2005

Goodbye, Wilson Valdez

Important Roster Construction Post Below


Upload Image / File

Goodbye, Wilson Valdez.

I was in Walla Walla when Valdez was picked up. I loaded USSM on my cell phone and saw "Wilson Valdez" and the first couple sentences of the post, informing me that he was on the team. I recall wondering what this scrubly merry-go-round was all about, as Abraham Nunez had just been claimed off waivers, and then even he was DFA'd for Wilson Valdez. I had no idea who he was or what he was here for. I didn't even realize he was a SS until Opening Day, when they announced his existence in the lineup. I was stunned to see #12 Wilson Valdez run out on the field. I immediately picked him to be the hero of Opening Day, and even put a little money on it. He wasn't. In my household, he became affectionately loved and adored for his Juan Valdez-like singles nabbing, his hustle, his ability to bunt. Basically, we liked him for all the things we were supposed to like Willie Bloomquist for. We affectionately called him "Juan Valdez The Coffee Man." Jeremy called him Exxon. He will be missed around McCall, Idaho. That's for sure.




3 Comments:

At 5/31/2005 8:15 PM, Blogger PositivePaul said...

Wait.

I thought I was the only one who blogged on his cell phone.

Cool! You got a PDA phone, too?

 
At 5/31/2005 8:37 PM, Blogger David J. Corcoran said...

Just a nice AT&T with internet access. I have a Palm III though, if that counts? I only use it online when I am out of town because it costs money per connect

 
At 6/01/2005 6:41 PM, Blogger TeacherRefPoet said...

Wilson Valdez will be missed, because we gave him the nickname of "Your Prom Date."

You don't think too much of him, but he was available after everyone else was taken. In fact, he may have been the only person left, and it's not like you want to start the season with your cousin, sister, or mom at shortstop, do you?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home