Friday, August 10, 2007

Save #2!!!

While I was away from the TV yesterday, mostly, watching Joey's final track meet of the season, I was able to 'watch' the game on my cell phone, thanks to the WEP version of GameCast. I was somewhat surprised that Mac left George in for the 9th, when the M's tacked on two more runs in the top of the inning and closed the door on a save opportunity for JJ. I knew that GS52 would've been eligible for the save had he been left in during the 9th, and I was both shocked and happy that it happened.

It was his longest outing since April 18th. Three K's and one walk (and on the GameCast on my cell phone, the AB with the walk was very questionable -- there appeared to be at least one strike that was called a ball, based on the graphic GameCast K zone. I'll have to go back to the game thread reactions to see if anyone commented on that pitch. It wouldn't surprise me to hear from Sid on this issue. Heh.

But whether or not it was a "vultured" save, I'll take it, and congratulate George on his second career save. I know there are more meaningful stats, sabermetrically, but saves mean a lot for player contracts, so huzzah!

What a fine season this lefty's having!

Labels: , , , , , , , ,

2 Comments:

At 8/11/2007 7:28 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

There were a few close pitches in save situation. Many were not called strikes, even though he had been generous the rest of the game.

By the way, on the walk in tonight game in Chicago, the second ball was right on the lower outide corner but wasn't given. Let to the walk.

 
At 8/13/2007 12:26 AM, Blogger Snave said...

I'm loving the season Sherrill is having, and I love the way the ballclub is playing. 5 out of 6 on the road! Sure it was against Baltimore and Chicago, but hey, those road wins are great to get!

I think Weaver is doing a heck of a job. I didn't think, back when he was doing so poorly, that there would be a starting pitcher on the team with a higher ERA than his, but now HoRam has taken over as Mariners' "worst starting pitcher". Weaver went all the way today, he pitched VERY well, and he gave the bullpen a day off! Yeah! Now let's get some more wins at home. 20 games over .500, anyone? 8-)>

 

Post a Comment

<< Home