Thursday, September 28, 2006

From the Desks of Mary, Joe Bob, and 500,000 Other M's Fans

What a stir a simple letter can make (uh, read the white part, not talkin' 'bout DMZ's comments there -- he snipped it from the comment thread where I linked it at LoLa and put it there). You gotta give the M's FO credit for stirring the pot. They wanted a reaction -- they got one. Not sure it's the reaction they want, of course, but you never know. Either CHowArmLinStrong are complete idiots, or they're evil geniuses...

So, without further adieu, and since those season ticket holders who hit the "reply" button to this e-mail will definitely see their e-mail bounce, I'm writing this letter as my response and publishing it here. I'll work on seeing if I can get it published in the P-I or Times or, heck, even the Daily O

-----------------------

Dear Sirs:

After suffering through the fifth straight season of disappointment and frustration -- from the non-moves in 2002 and 2003 to improve a team that was still very much a playoff contender, to the utter, somewhat-yet-not-totally-expected collapse of 2004, all the way to the attempts to recover some life in 2005 and 2006 -- I have decided not to renew my Mariners fandom for 2007.

With the price of health care going through the roof, especially the cost of prescription medicine, I've decided that I can no longer subject myself to the physical and mental illness that your company and its products are causing me. Not only will I not renew my season tickets, I will not attend any future games in your 'family-friendly' stadium.

I am tired of the words you say and the actions you take to the contrary. I am tired of hearing the same old stuff uttered from your mouths and seeing the action (or non-action) you've taken to 'improve' the club.

-----------------

I cannot continue. This is so freakin' pathetic that I refuse to even discuss it any further.

The alienation continues. From 3 million down to 2.5 million. Next year, let's make it 1.5 million.

2 Comments:

At 9/29/2006 12:21 PM, Blogger Jason said...

Hey, PositivePaul...

Unless you're talking in some sort of secret bovine code, you probably want a different word than "udder" there in the first angry paragraph. (Perhaps "utter"?)

This letter by the FO seems to have been something like dumping napalm on an anthill...not a surprising reaction, but an interesting one nonetheless.

 
At 9/29/2006 1:37 PM, Blogger PositivePaul said...

Heh.

Yeah, "utter" has two "t's" in it (not two "d's"). Must've been the fumes from the Misthaufen that was just dumped on the M's blog-o-sphere by CHowArmLinStrong...

I never said I wasn't an irrational reactionary. I do have a temper. That's why I have a blog -- so I don't go and punch something :-)

I'm not, of course, too serious here. I'm too hooked into the ideology to completely turn away from baseball and from the M's. Besides, I agree with the sentiment that the players make the most difference in the outcome of the season. Certainly having a poor manager and an average GM (I'm actually a fan of Bavasi for the most part, but I don't recognize him as a "good" GM -- to me, he'd be GREAT in Chuck Armstrong's role) decrease your chances. But the M's are a better team than they were going into 2004. If CHowArmLinStrong decide to spend tons more money on the right players to fill our obvious rotation holes, and add some punch to the offense, then I'll live with Hargrove as the manager. I won't be happy, of course, and the team will be worse off than if they had a different manager, but I'll live with it...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home